Flooding update

I’m going to be a little late. (Traffic though Mytholmroyd is terrible)

Made a lot of progress with the 2nd clean today - thanks to everyone who turned up to help. We cleaned the bottom of the walls & furniture, & a the floor more thoroughly. Some of it may need another go, but it’s a lot closer - check out the picture

Next steps are probably to clean all the stuff that was sat on the floor (mostly on the central table now) & decide whether all that can be salvaged. We also need to clean the chairs that we stacked in the outer lobby - once we’d reclaimed the space from the bike shop.

It’s not clear when power will be restored, as the insurer concluded all the electrics should be condemned - regardless of the floods. Whether we can get temporary power etc, remains to be seen . . . We’ll post updates when we have them. Anyway, maybe we can meet up at least for a social sometime soon. Happy New Year Rectifiers!

1 Like

Does anyone know if the power is back on at Hebble End?

I meant to contact the landlord yesterday, but failed. Will give them a call tomorrow.

If it looks as though we’ll be without power for 1 month or even more, I’ll look into bringing down a leisure battery and 12V lanterns, so that we can have some sort of social/activities in the meantime.

Spoke with the landlord, they visited today and are going to get an electrician to assess the electrics ASAP. Fingers crossed this won’t take too long…

Great news: @Martin headed down to the space yesterday and power is back on!

I hope to head down early next week, perhaps Tuesday if @sky is around, to do a bit more work on the RFID entry system and to have a general tidy up. If anyone does go down before then I’d recommend not using the old electric heaters, unless you are absolutely certain it is safe to and then it’s at your risk — if unsure, just don’t! I’ll try and pick up a new heater some time this week(end).

Here’s to very soon getting back to working on fun projects etc. :slight_smile:

Just been into Hebble End & was surprised to see so few people around, condiering power’s back. The only person actually working was Geoff in Tan My Hide, though it looked like repair work was happening somewhere upstairs.

Our landlord, David Fletcher, has given all tenants a month off from paying rent. So, we’ll reinstate our payment ahead of February. Power returned on Tues 12th January, so we only lost around half a month. Now we need to crack on with planning events & recruiting new members - all help & suggestions welcome.

Our ceiling lights are working, apart from the kitchen, which has never worked. As yet, I haven’t tried plugging anything in to the mains sockets . . .

Checked all the power sockets are working ok - 3 doubles in the main space & a single under the kitchen worktop.

The bottom of the doors stick a lot because they’re still swollen with water.

I went to the floods meeting at Hebden Town Hall today, There are grants up to £5k per property for flood resilience work (fitting flood gates, raising electrics, floor work, waterproofing etc), but it’s usually payable to the property owner, rather than the tenant - whoever’s responsible for the fabric of the building. I suppose we can enquire via our landlady whether the mill owners plan to apply for any of this?

Hi @9600, yes I can come on Tuesday. I’ll be there about 7:00

Hi, @sky, great stuff, will aim to be there by 7PM. I think @roboguy may be heading down also.

I’m not going to make it down there tonight @9600 - you wouldn’t thank me for sharing my cold

Sorry to hear about the cold, @RoboGuy.

@sky and myself did a bit more cleaning, put stuff back on the shelves and brought a few chairs back in. The space is more or less back as it was. Could just do with a little bit more cleaning here and there and, of course, we need a replacement under counter fridge.

Thinking we should get back to having a regular open night from next week, Weds 27th. Perhaps we could go for a pint after?

Definitely up for that on Wed 27th Jan

Took my part completed grant application to the town hall, & discussed our eligibility. I think @Caz is right here, & we should qualify for £2,500 grant. I need to get some insurance details from Paul Rigg before I can submit the form.

Just finished completing application for £2,500 Business Recovery Scheme with Calderdale Council - to be posted tomorrow.

1 Like

Thanks for putting this together, @RoboGuy!

Obviously, we’ll need some heating for our first 2016 Wednesday evening session on 27th. Given the flood damage, we need to replace what we had. I think @9600 has a product in mind - are you able to get something by then? If not, just give me a spec & I’m happy to fetch - eg from Screwfix at Burnley, or wherever you suggest?

The Business Recovery grant will hopefully be paid quickly - Calderdale Council aim within 5 days of receipt. I think purchases like heaters should be reimbursed from Bridge Rectifier’s bank account. Similarly, we need to replace the fridge we had. Maybe on Wednesday we can make a shopping list & prioritize. Maybe replacement shelving, including extra storage raised up to protect against future floods.

Went in at teatime & lifted everything off the floor just to be safe - I think 4" of rainfall is forecast by tomorrow morning. I left the router plugged in.

There’s currently no external door handle on the building, but it can be opened with the key.

Community Foundation for Calderdale got back to me, & said the £200 emergency grant was for individuals, so wasn’t suitable for us. However, they pointed me to a non-flood related grant of over £900 that not-for-profit groups are eligible for: http://www.cffc.co.uk/portfolio/general-grants-programme/

I said Bridge Rectifier wouldn’t apply for anything yet, but might apply later in relation to a specific project - such as flood sensors/ networking etc.

I’ve ordered 2 new fan heaters, but the ones I want are currently out of stock. I’m away next week & I know @treb0r has an ATO event. So, I’ve put in one of my own heaters on load - it’s a 1/2/3 kW oil filled radiator, so combined with the others I hope that’s ok temporarily. For info, the rest of the building’s being heated during the day by 2 massive industrial heaters, teamed up with big dehumidifiers - apparently it’s costing £100 per week from the insurance.

1 Like