'inventing the future' reading group

I’m about to read this book.

http://www.versobooks.com/books/1989-inventing-the-future

I think it would make for a good start to a reading group. Nothing fancy or complicated. Buy the book read it and we can get together in December sometime if there’s interest at BR. If its only a small group - or a reading group of 1 - in my living room with the fire on :wink:

1 Like

Book Blurb:

A major new manifesto for a high-tech future free from work
Neoliberalism isn’t working. Austerity is forcing millions into poverty and many more into precarious work, while the left remains trapped in stagnant political practices that offer no respite.

Inventing the Future is a bold new manifest0 for life after capitalism. Against the confused understanding of our high-tech world by both the right and the left, this book claims that the emancipatory and future-oriented possibilities of our society can be reclaimed. Instead of running from a complex future, Nick Srnicek and Alex Williams demand a postcapitalist economy capable of advancing standards, liberating humanity from work and developing technologies that expand our freedoms.

just ordered a copy!

1 Like

ok, I’m in too @dxhales

1 Like

Looks like a table for 4 so far… That’s @treb0r @RoboGuy and @David Hayward.

Looks great. Picked up a copy of the Paul Mason post capitalism book too as I keep hearing that it is worth a read.

Any plans for dong some sci-fi next year?

@treb0r I’m doing a Sci-fi theory-philisophy seminar type reading group over at madlab in the spring. Will do something in Hebden Bridge as well I imagine. Maybe some film screenings linked to discussion. I’m looking into how to do that at the minute venue-wise.

I saw a sci-fi book club at the Madlab last year (when visiting MWUG) and it was packed out.

they have a sci-fi novel reading group and also a group for speculative fiction writers. I’m aiming for maybe 10 people max. for the theory-fiction and sci-fi seminar stuff. maybe more at film screenings - needs thinking about before I can say what form it will take in hebden bridge.

I’m going to suggest we do the reading group discussion in a pub. I think the beer will help the conversation and if we pick somewhere with a nice fire we’ll be a bit warmer than at the hackerspace. Do people have any dates in mind - dates they can’t make in December?

After discussing this with @treb0r it will be better to keep this to the hackerspace. I’ll get the heating on 30 mins before we start. I suggest that we start the reading group after we’ve all finished reading it. So if you let me know when you’ve done that - If we could aim for the 9th of December and review things a couple of days before that. It is important that we’ve all read the book before we meet to discuss it and if people can’t for whatever reason we can just wait for people to be ready.

The 9th December is an open evening on the calendar - I don’t mind the clash personally and explaining the book to anyone turning up would be ok? If the clash is a problem do let me know though.

In the new year I’m thinking that we can work with specific issues that arise from the book - on a thematic basis. Nick Srnicek one of the authors has kindly agreed to join us (via a hangout and provisionally) on the 27th January.

I don’t think hosting this on the same evening as an open night would be a problem. In fact, I’m all for things happening on Wednesdays if it will help to keep open nights to be more regular.

I’d love to join the group, but just not getting any time at all to read at the moment, so it would probably take me until December 2016 :confused:

@9600 yep, that’s the problem with books I guess: they have to be read! Perhaps a session in the new year can focus on an extract rather than the whole book and you can join that.

hello everyone - sorry to do this but some work just landed on me that will take up any free time I had to make this work between now and the new year. I need to postpone this reading group. I’ll reconvene things in the new year. In the meantime: Enjoy the book!

well, I meant to say that I need to postpone my input - the reading group can happen without me if you’d all like to do that - and I can catch up with things in the new year

I started reading last night. I’m finding it quite hard going but rewarding.

Are you going to reschedule the call with the author?

hoping to stick to the date with the author - but need to confirm that one anyway with him in the new year.

Not started reading it yet. Personally, I don’t mind waiting a bit before meeting up, as I don’t know how quickly I’ll get through it. Otherwise, I’ll try to fit in with everyone else.

I’m late to the party but am up for this. I was thinking of restarting my blog with a post about universal basic income. I’ll get the book. If we meet in the pub I would rather it be at the end of the week. My code reads like cottage cheese the day after a nights drinking.

1 Like