Wednesday Evening is Open Evening

I can get down by 7pm tonight to unlock. Anyone else coming?

Hello all,

I intend to be down this Wednesday. I notice opening time is 1800 on the calendar but since I donā€™t leave work until around then, Iā€™ll be there about 1930 :slight_smile:

Thatā€™s weird. It used to be 7-9PM and every Wednesday, but had been changed to 6-PM and every other Wednesday. Not sure who did this, but 6PM start is a bit early even for many of us who are much nearer by, and I donā€™t recall any suggestion to move it to being fortnightly.

In any case, switched back to weekly and 7-9.

I plan to be along this Wednesday also.

Help I just tried to come to tonightā€™s open evening but couldnā€™t find out how to get in, the hebble end works all had grilles across - is it on or have I just missed something:-(
James

Apologies for starting a bit later last night, and thanks for coming!

No worries, it was nice! Looking for projects:slight_smile:

Apologies for the late start @Shirtboy - glad you persevered. We normally open up by 7pm. I canā€™t get there next Wed myself. Good luck with your sound projects/ Raspberry Pi/ whatever.

Thanks!

Iā€™ve been looking at this and wondering whether Iā€™ve got the skils for itā€¦

Iā€™m sure someone at Bridge Rectifier will be able to advise @Shirtboy if you get stuck.

Itā€™s Wednesday again and I plan to head down for 7PM to open up.

Excellent @9600 Iā€™m planning on popping down :smile:

The LVPSU has been installed in the QPrem mass spec and a new PC has been purchased, comms established last night and it pumps down et cetera. Drove to Manchester and got some nitrogen this morning already have the regulator so will be ready to do some analysis later after a couple of hours pumping :atom:

Collected some electronic kit lots of power supplies with interesting transformers, ammeters and volt meters some of which to be donated to BR

Found a mass spectrometer in the bin at Uniā€¦ :triumph: Its a VG Trio 1 GC/MS, I donā€™t think it will work again but there are plenty of interesting parts including a turbo molecular pump, its in the back of my car and BR can upcycle it!

Also got quite a few environmental monitoring kits.

1 Like

Hi @Shirtboy looks interesting!

That looks cool. Iā€™m tempted to have a go at a light theremin (or something else that makes noise) myself.

There was a noise event that happened at the end of last year but so far it appears to have been a one off. We could resurrect it with hacker space ā€œinstrumentsā€ if we get enough interest.

Iā€™ll be along later to check out the mass spec doing its thing.

1 Like

I definitely like noise!

Starting it might have to wait till Iā€™ve got my python eu referendum love match twitter bot up and running - donā€™t know if thatā€™s something people would be interested in?

We may be interested if we understood what that means, @Shirtboy! I canā€™t get along tonight, but look forward to seeing your progress soon.

Well, it searches twitter for pairs of very Pro and Anti EU people, and sends them messages trying to get them to ask each other out on dates. Thought it would be amusingā€¦

1 Like

@Matt if we can settle upon a date I could see if we can use the Pig again for a performance.

After the last event we had thought about hosting another this summer, but might be better if we had 3 or 4 months to plan and advertise a Saturday daytime hacking/experimenting thing beforehand. Also would give us time to work on projects. E.g. @Giles to fit wheels on the mass spec, so that we could wheel that down there and use it as a source of ā€œrandomnessā€ :smiley:

Sounds like a plan.

I was thinking of making a piano and hooking it up to the random number generator to generate the next chord somehow in some kind of Cage like chance operation. Setting a date would make me get my finger out.

London backspace has an audio related group running within it if anyoneā€™s interested, http://musichackspace.org/

@Matt love that idea!

I got a vibrate motor from an old phone today, wondered how that would sound against some metal with say ball bearings onā€¦

The space feels almost warm tonight, without any heating - even just in a t-shirt. Letā€™s make the most of the mild weather . . . .