Learning to laser cut — a collective journey

New member, Andy, re-aligned the laser-cutter mirrors on Wed, and taught a bunch of us the process at the same time. I took photos & short videos, and have since typed some notes. I’ll probably try loading something onto the wiki after I’ve reviewed photos & videos. Yesterday, I tested the outcome by laser-cutting a little sample in each of the 4 corners - I can confirm it’s all working great. Big thanks, Andy :grinning:

I’ve been comparing different ways of slicing the same design. In MDF & plywood, there’s a nice contrast between scorched edges and unscorched surfaces; the laser giving a warm glow to the upward face of cut material, whereas the rear face remains plain.

tn640_20180929_160802

With acrylic sheet, cut edges would be the same colour as material faces. The more significant issue becomes light transmission if a light is encased in a hollow shell. Looking to test fluorescent acrylic soon … …

Today myself and @RichardC were laser cutting (thank you!! Really good to finally make something!) and Ali from the front shop in Hebble End came in and @RichardC also helped her create something. I chatted to Ali about becoming a member and being able to use these tools whenever she liked and she said it was worth the membership just for what she had done today - so hopefully she will sign up and we have a new member who will use the space and the facilities.

looking good Guy! Keen to see the acrylic versions.